How are hospitals using Twitter?
Which hospitals are using Twitter?
What prompts the consumer to follow hospital Twitter account(s)?
What is the cost of not engaging with Twitter for hospitals?
Mayo Clinic’s Center for Social Media reframes ROI as “risk of ignoring”. Not engaging with digital platforms like Twitter by smaller organizations will allow for greater opportunities to more progressive competitors.
It is all about the user experience thats prompts consumer to follow the hospital. Hospitals need to sustain followers with interesting and useful content.
Study published in Journal of Medical Internet Research finds among hospitals studied: 99.4% had a Facebook account; 99.4% had a Foursquare account; 99.1% had a Yelp account; and 50.8% had a Twitter account. One half of the hospitals studied had an account on all four digital platforms.
Mayo Clinic is named second year in a row as most social media – friendly hospital in the United States.
The facility had:
- 538,061 Facebook likes/fans;
- 26,871 Facebook check-ins;
- 26,545 Facebook mentions;
- 17,708 Tweets;
- 858,932 Twitter followers;
- 1,783 Twitter users it was following; and
- 9,086 Twitter mentions.
Other top social media friendly hospitals, in order:
- Cleveland Clinic;
- Baylor Regional Medical Center in Texas;
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston;
- University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center;
- Rush University Medical Center in Chicago;
- Houston Methodist Hospital;
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City;
- University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers; and
- Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago
Crowd Clinical takes public opinion on hospitals and collates data and uses it effectively.
Twitter and predicting emergency trends. University of Arizona and Dallas-Fort Worth team up to find connections between tweets about asthma and asthma-related emergency room visits.
The utilization of Twitter in the hospital setting has been more beneficial than detrimental in its ability to generate opportunities for cost savings, recruiting, communication with employees and patients, and community reach.