Pharmaceutical companies definitely need to invest in more quality content and fewer ads on social media platforms.
Ditch the agencies #pharma. Patient groups can be the best creative consultants for your social media content. Why?
it is content created by people and not brands
authenticity is a top priority on social media
it is seen as the most trusted form of content
tap into the experience of patient groups
traditional ads are being bypassed by the consumer
Five main questions for you #pharma to ask yourself about your brand on social media.
- What do people say about my brand on social media?
- What do people think about my company or brand on social media?
- How close am I to my audience on social media?
- Do I know my audience on social media?
- What do people think of my content?
- Are people sharing my content?
- Is my content relevant to my audience?
- How engaging am I with my audience?
- Do I answer questions?
- Do I take part in online conversations?
My list of some of the biggest challenges facing social listening for #pharma today.
embedding it into your organization
learning your audience’s language
finding feedback and incorporating feedback into strategy
understanding why you may be trending
Question from #pharma: what are the objectives for me on social media? The objectives for #pharma on social media platforms should be the following.
Provide useful and relevant content
Gain customer insights
Increase brand awareness
Attract candidates (recruitment)
#pharma the secret to staying engaged with your followers means you have to keep up with the trends in social media. Here are some trends you should be monitoring.
- companies not being directly called into action but you participate in the online discussion
- an excellent example from Sanofi
influencer marketing is evolving
- influencers more than your traditional testimonials have a lead in social media marketing
User-generated content (UGC) is more appreciated by the audience
- UGC is more authentic
- UGC is more creative
- movements are created online
social media is where people go for news probably more than TV
#pharma how do you consume your content? Well then think of the content you produce and how you want your followers to consume your content.
what is content consumption?
- basically how your online followers/audience read and interact with your content
who creates your content?
- content marketing team(s):
- team of content marketers,
- content creation resources,
- measuring if content is effective,
- cross-channel integration
- user-generated content marketing (UGC = user-generated content):
- content created by your followers,
- users online
- advertising agency:
- just recycle what you do on TV on social media platforms
do you create long or short-form content?
- short is what content creators refer to as *snack-able* probably the best for accessing content via mobile
- long content for reading more in-depth
what pisses you off about the content you consume?
- suggested recommendations
- useless information
so how can you get people to read your content?
- be an influencer
- be as social as you can
- engage on social media platforms
- create content with users (think patients and UGC)
- produce excellent content
#pharma what kind of responses are you getting from your followers/ audience on social platforms? always remember the following:
share real stories
#pharma is your ad worth clicking (aka interruption marketing). Forget traditional advertising and think engagement marketing.
what is engagement marketing
- actively engaging with followers / your audience online
- what it is not is throwing advertising around so people do not want to see you
how to think engagement marketing: content
- provide useful content
- provide relevant content
- provide content with value to your audience
- publish high-quality content
how to think engagement marketing: be authentic
- let employees tell the story not an agency
- answer questions your followers ask
- lead a conversation online
- share thoughts via social media platforms
how to think engagement marketing: know your audience
- consumers today are informed and savvy
- consumers have more control over the content they want to see and receive
- know what your followers are saying about you online
- know what your followers are discussing online
how to think engagement marketing: have a social media team in place to handle engagement
- have social media team work with all departments
- make sure the social media team has the right workflow in place
- social media team must have direct access to senior management to streamline and respond rapidly
- have a social media team that cultivates a culture of content
- a must for the social media team is social monitoring
Question from #pharma: “are testimonial and influencer the same thing?”
are testimonial and influencer the same thing
- creates online engagement
- have started or created their careers online and their business model is built on their social media platforms
- have a following and know their audience
- are transparent about advertising
- is a “recommendation” from a celebrity
- usually, an actor, musician, athlete or other pop figure promotes a product
- very expensive
what role if any do testimonials and influencers play in content marketing
- consumers are spending more time online so there is more need for influencers
- influencers can help to create content
- influencers can A/B test online
- influencers know their audience best
- working with either influencers or testimonials good content is always a must
pharma whom to choose for online marketing
- working with influencers is today the mainstream marketing approach to online marketing
- with influencers, it is easier to reach your target audience
- with influencers, you get more value for your money