Online platforms and social media has allowed everyone to express themselves. Listening to what people are saying online and acquiring this knowledge has become an important role for the community manager. But where should this community manager sit within a #bigpharma organization?
What is a community manager?
- Is essentially the link between the brand and the online audience
- Is the liaison between community and organization or brand
- Community manager engages with the online community
- Community manager builds online relationships
What are some of the benefits of a community manager?
- Greatest benefit of community manager is a transfer of knowledge from the online community to within the company
- Community manager knows what people are saying about the brand online
- Community manager is key to building trust online
- Community manager knows how to build an online community or following
- Community manager can gauge the online sentiment
What are some of the challenges for a community manager?
- Monitoring the thousands of comments or posts online expressing different opinions
- Community manager needs to know how to handle information properly
- There needs to be in place a process to manage the transfer of information
- Distinguish what is important and what is not important online
- Develop a structured reply that reflects the organization across different platforms in the same manner
What does the role of a community manager look like in the process of transferring information from the online communities into knowledge?
- Distinguishing what information is helpful for the organization
- Having in place a process that is efficient and fast
- Having in place an access to senior management for rapid responses
- Elaborate daily or weekly short reports of what is going on, along with a sentiment report of positive and negative comments
- Play a lead role in defining or refining of social media strategy
So where does a community manager sit within a #bigpharma organization?
- Each company is different – there is no one size fits all
- Should ask yourself what role does social media have within the organization
- Is it about customer service? in some companies customer service had become the new marketing
- Is it about marketing? Is it part of the greater marketing plan
- Is it about communications? company/brand corporate broadcasting
- My answer is, today it is all about the customer and #bigpharma should have in place a social media team or department (post, post, post) that consists of the following:
- Social media manager
- Social media community manager
- Social media strategist
- Social media analyst
- Head of social media