The first question you need to ask yourself with social media is, what are your objectives? You have a sales target but what is your social media target?
Is it just an extension of your traditional advertising?
- Remember TV ads are designed only for TV
- Are people watching your ads on social media
- Do you ever ask yourself why would anyone click and watch this
- Are your social media and traditional media complimenting each other (as it should be)
Is it about telling the latest research?
- Are you posting research in a timely manner
- Are you presenting scientific data that people can understand
- Are you dedicating time to producing and curating research content
- Social media is an excellent forum for discussing research
Is it about employees advocacy?
- Remember employees are your greatest asset
- Employee advocacy can:
- Increase brand reach and greater audience
- Humanizes your brand
- Support engagement efforts
- CEO participation on social media is important
Is it about promoting your success?
- Are you producing content that is useful and relevant for your audience
- Are you producing content to promote yourself (aka vanity content)
- Are you looking for validation or engagement on social media
Is it about engaging with your audience?
- Do you know who your audience is
- What do they care about
- Do you interact with them
- Are you building a community