Social media is no longer considered an add-on. For a lot of companies, it is a critical component of the traditional marketing mix. #Bigpharma needs to view that social media and social media team are strategic for company success. Today I want to focus on the social media strategist, a new role for #bigpharma.
Who is the social media strategist?
- Social media strategist designs the strategy that will help achieve company goals
- Social media strategist is empowered to innovate
- Social media strategist lays out the social media roadmap for the future
- Social media strategist is aware of current trends on the social media platforms
How are social media strategists different from social media managers?
- Social media strategists play a role where decisions are made at the strategic level on various platforms
- Social media strategists ensure that content direction is in line with overall goals and strategy
- Social media strategists have more of a strategic role rather than a tactical one
What is the social media strategist responsible for?
- Leading and formalizing the social media strategic plan
- Working together with other departments, teams, internal stakeholders to develop a social media strategy
- Reviewing analytics with the social media analyst
- Understanding how the brand is performing online
- Monitoring competitors and social media trends
Is #bigpharma prepared to have a social media strategist?
- Unfortunately much is delegated to agencies
- Few people within #bigpharma actually and exclusively are dedicated to social media
- There are rarely (if none) social media teams in place
What should #bigpharma look ahead to?
- Social media strategists should be part of a social media team and aligned with all other departments and teams
- Social media must become a core competency of the company and not just an add-on
- You must have in place a social media strategy or roadmap
- Start building a social media expertise in-house