Is it more important for pharma to draw traffic to its website or work on building an audience on social media platforms? Both are very important. Driving traffic to your website allows for people to learn more about your organization. Building an audience on social media platforms allows you to gain a broader reach. Of the two I would choose to give priority to working on building an audience first and traffic to your website will subsequently follow.
Why is it so important to build an audience?
- You need an audience
- Time spent on social media platforms is greater than on websites
- An audience builds social currency
- An audience gives you reach
- An audience is made up of real people making real connections
- An audience shares your *quality* content information with their friends/followers
- If you don’t have an audience then how will anyone find out about your website
- An audience makes you an authority on something
Does it really matter how big your audience is?
- You would think the bigger the better, however, smaller audiences appear to be more engaged and share more (micro-influencer)
- Size is not the answer what is important is to engage and build a trusting relationship with your audience
How do you grow your audience?
- It takes time to build an audience
- An audience has shared values and a common interest, in your organization or brand
- Think about how you can be engaging and sharing quality content so as to grow your audience:
- Behind the scenes (BTS)
Should you build an audience on one social media platform or several social media platforms?
- Social media platforms are just a way or means to bring people together
- People are on different social media platforms – ask yourself who are you trying to connect with
- Never abandon your audience (aka zombie community)
What can an audience do for you?
- An audience can be your most important marketing asset
- An audience gives you competitive edge
- An audience listens to what you have to say
- An audience can share your posts (and linking to website will drive traffic to your website)
- An audience can help you in understanding the patient journey, pain points, interests and this can help you to adjust your strategy accordingly