What would make me happy right now? To see #bigpharma CEOs who grew up with social media. In the future CEOs not being on social media will not be a *nice to have*. Instead, CEOs being active on social media platforms will be a requirement.
What effect does a CEO on social media have on its organization?
- Improves your organization/brand image
- You are a human being creating a human connection making you a better leader
- It builds trust – people trust people
- It builds authority – you become a thought leader in your sector
Why do CEOs use social media platforms?
- It can be a very powerful executive tool
- It’s free PR for the organization you represent
- To become industry thought leaders
- It’s a cultural shift – You cannot ignore anymore you have to be there
What do #bigpharma CEOs need to know about social media?
- Competition is fierce even on social media platforms
- You don’t have to post all the time
- Social media is a global broadcast channel
- Social media is for engagement
- Make sure you are up to date with technology and trends – platforms are constantly being updated
- Look at the different demographics of each platform
- Makes press releases look like old school
How much time should CEOs spend on social media?
- There are no set guidelines for social media use
- Too much on social media may be seen as distracting or unhealthy
- Posting once in a while may have more impact
- Answer people on social media platforms to show you are human and accessible
- Have a team in place for active listening, follow up or approval of messages
Active #bigpharma CEOs on Twitter at the moment?
- Axel Steiger @axel_steiger CEO @Bayer
- Brent Saunders @brentlsaunders Chairman & CEO @Allergan
- Omar Ishrak @MedtronicCEO Medtronic Chairman and CEO