Social media was born with the intention of bringing people together. However, it has dramatically shifted from only connecting people to being used as an advertising platform. But is it the right place for advertising?
The original main objective of social media?
- born to be “social”
- bring people together
- build networks
- allow for opinions and conversations to take place
When did brands start to see the possibilities of social media?
- a lot of customers all in one place
- free platforms
- another marketing channel
- another platform for ads
- platform to direct back to website
How to make sense out of all the marketing & advertising noise today?
- are you useful?
- are you unique?
- do you encourage your audience to engage?
- does your content stand out – is it unique, educational, fun and relevant?
The most common reason people use social media today?
- keep in touch with friends
- to fit into a larger circle
- to express thoughts and public opinions (example self-forming groups)
- to receive and filter information
How can #bigpharma make it social again?
- make customer engagement a priority
- monitor and listen to online conversations
- be community-minded
- be adding value and not just looking for sales
- be real
- be authentic
- embrace more social media platforms