If you search the internet you will find so many different *types* of social media managers. It basically comes down to the size of your organization. In a smaller organization, a social media manager can take on a more encompassing role, for example, a strategist, a content manager, an analyst etc. In a larger organization such as #bigpharma, there is a growing division of positions and the social media manager is part of a larger social media team.
Who is the social media manager?
- Social media manager defines, creates and executes social media strategies
- Social media manager manages social media relations both internally with other departments or teams Social media manager manages social media relations externally for example influencers, bloggers and outreach programs
- Social media manager is involved in the larger scope of social media decisions
- Curates content and creates a content calendar in alignment with strategy
How are social media managers different from community managers?
- Community managers are responsible for community building and engagement
- Community managers are more of an *operative role*
- Have more of a *one on one* contact with an online audience
- Reply to comments and messages in less than 24 hrs
How are social media managers different from social media strategists?
- Social media strategists play a role where decisions are made at the strategic level on various platforms
- Social media strategists identify which key influencers they should target, for example, SWOT analysis
- Social media strategists ensure that content direction is in line with overall goals and strategy
- Social media strategists have more of a strategic role rather than a tactical one
How are social media managers different from social media heads?
- Social media heads are responsible for strategy, management and leading a team to execute integrated social campaigns across all platforms
- Social media heads report to C-suite or executive team to ensure a response within less than 24 hrs., for example in the case of an online crisis management
- Social media head must be on board on all new social media platforms, tools, news, and trends and ensure that the social media team is one step ahead on how to implement something new
What are some of the qualitative skill sets to look for in a social media manager?
- Understands traditional marketing
- Understands the business sector of the #bigpharma industry
- Is up to date on social media platforms
- Understands the dynamics of social media
- Understands the importance of customer service on social media
- Understands the needs to rapidly respond online
- Understands the importance of online engagement and community building
- Understands a potentially negative or crisis situation