#pharma, hashtag activism is the new form of advocacy.
What is hashtag activism?
- Hashtag activism is a term coined by media outlets which refers to the use of Twitter’s hashtags for Internet activism.
Why hashtag activism?
- it is user generated
- it can control the narrative
- it raises awareness to causes that have been neglected
- it is a potential for global participation
What is the potential impact of hashtag activism?
- it can break through the noise
- it can dominate a discussion
- it is great for visibility
- a lot of engagement is what will make it trending
- it is the new form of advocacy
- a call to action can take place
- it can bring awareness to a given issue
What constitutes a successful movement if it starts as a hashtag?
- one example in the healthcare field was #ThisISMyLane
- doctors were for the first time vocal around gunshot wounds and what they face every day
Does it lead to change?
- social media platforms are a tool that can support the larger goal for activists
- it has the ability to bring together liked minded people, to connect and organize events
- hashtags are being used to inform and take action