Social media is changing the way people interact with brands and companies. Ok, so pharma companies are highly regulated. But that does not mean they cannot be creative and include social media as part of the overall marketing strategy. Large organizations such as pharma do have marketing expertise and funds. They just need to find a perfect mix.
How is social media marketing different from traditional marketing?
- Traditional marketing utilizes advertisements and campaigns (for example television, print advertisements)
- Social media includes social media platforms and is about conversations and engagement (for example Facebook, Twitter)
What role does social media play in large traditional organizations such as pharma?
- At present, it is used mainly to broadcast corporate messages and not for engagement with people online
- It is still considered an afterthought after all traditional marketing promotional materials have been completed
What direction is the field of pharma marketing heading?
- Social media is still not considered a priority
- Social media is not an integrated part of the overall marketing strategy
- Patient leaflets, eDetailing, symposia, exhibition stands continue to come first
- In the US we still see standalone DTC (direct to consumer) advertising
- Still Playing it safe with social media platforms
How are traditional pharma marketing campaigns viewed today?
- Non-engaging and not a two-way dialogue
- Tone deaf
- Less inspiring since alternative media channels are becoming more and more attractive to consumers
Is traditional advertising still an effective means of marketing a new product or service?
- Even though online and social media marketing seems to have captured the attention of younger generations, this does not mean that traditional marketing is dead
- Traditional marketing still has a role in raising awareness of a new product or service
- Some modifications need to be made to traditional marketing in order to be appropriate in the electronic age
- Healthcare professionals (HCP), patients, policymakers and people are online so a well-balanced mix of social, traditional and face to face marketing would be a perfect formula for pharma